During this time of solitude I have taken the time to experiment and take on new crafts, one being hand embroidery. Once I completed my first project I was struck with the realization that my hoop’s life would forever be with this project leaving me to purchase a new one per project. Although it is an esthetic look to use embroidery hoops as frames for decor, I wanted something different. Yes, I could frame is but it often is bulky and pricey. Instead of opting in I headed towards the craft closet and decided on creating an embroidery frame hanger. Switch up the ribbon texture and ties to fit any room’s esthetic. This is a beginner level sewing project that is simple and fast to create.
Materials needed for this project are most likely waiting anxiously in your craft closet to be loved: ribbon, wooden dowels, sandpaper, scissors, thread, sewing machine and an optional lighter. The ribbon can be any of your choosing or even use some left over bias tape. For the wooden dowels I headed to the baking section since the dowels are shorter and come in packs rather than dealing with a lengthy one from the unfinished wood section. Since I am recommending this project for beginners I will disclaim that I used a basic straight stitch and of course used some backstitching to secure the stitching. That being said, you can opt for a decorative zigzag too. No sewing machine, try this project by hand using a backstitch, it will just take you a little more time.
Watch the full tutorial down below.
- Prep the ribbon by folding it in half and ironing a crease.
- Pin along the perimeter pinching in the corners and pinning the top and bottom layer each separately.
- Cut off remaining ribbon and burn the edge to prevent fraying (optional).
- Sew the length sides first.
- Sew the width being careful to leave openings at each side for the wooden rods.
- Measure and cut wooden rods to size.
- Sand down the ends to make them smooth.
- Insert the bottom rod.
- Cover the second rod with ribbon and insert it into the top.
- Pull the ribbon to make it even and tie a bow.