My First Time: Appliqué Edition Brother PE550d

Back with another requested video on how to create an appliqué on the Brother PE550d machine. For this tutorial I did not practice or do a prior attempt, this is in fact footage of my first time trying to create an appliqué. The hardest part of creating an appliqué in my opinion is finding a file with the correct format. In order to create a “proper” appliqué the file needs to have three layers. First is a tracing layer to give you a general idea on where to place the fabric you want to use for the appliqué. Second is what is referred to as a tack down stitch to keep the fabric from puckering and moving when it stitches the satin stitch which is commonly used for appliqués to cover the raw edges making it look pretty. Overall I recommend testing out any new file on a scrap piece of fabric before embroidering it on an item. Watch the tutorial below to see what I learned from creating my first appliqué.

XOXO Faith

How to: Wind an Embroidery Bobbin Brother PE550d

This tutorial was requested awhile ago however I have been procrastinating making it. In the tutorial you will see the raw footage of me winding my first bobbin on the PE550d. While I had created bobbins on my sewing machine I never really thought of it being any different, but it is a little. What I mean by that is there is a vital part that differentiates the average embroidery machine from a sewing machine, the foot pedal.  That being said it is relatively easy to do as the machine prompts you through the entire process, so do not let it intimidate you. 

XOXO Faith

Thread Wars: Sulky vs New Brothread

Starting a new hobby always adds up fast and embroidery is definitely not an exception which is why when I first ordered my machine I sought out a cheaper thread alternative. Popular thread brands add up way too fast but is it really something to skimp out on? Well today I finally decided it was time to do a THREAD WAR and purchase one of the most popular craft store threads for embroidery, Sulky, and see if it is worth the hefty price tag. 

Obviously, comparing on cost alone the award would go to New Brothread for one 1,000 meter (1093.61 yards) spool it is $2.99. Sulky on the other hand is $6.99 for 850 yards per spool. Next is material: New Brothread is predominately polyester whereas Sulky comes in various materials.  The ones sold at my craft store were all Rayon or polyester nylon blends. For this test the material used for the sulky thread was 100% Rayon at 40 weight. The test thread from New Brothread was 100% polyester at 40 weight. To read all about the difference between polyester and rayon thread for machine embroidery click here. To watch the thread war watch the video below. 

What thread do you prefer to use?

XOXO Faith

Fix Bobbin Errors on Brother PE550d

Throughout my embroidery journey there has been many struggles, some I have shared others I have not, simply due to if I have found a solution or not. No, this is not a post ranting about the machine however, I must state that the customer service for Brother has not made a good impression thus far. When I first started having issues with my bobbin thread showing up on the top side I read the manual for quick fixes and then reached out to their service department with a photo and description of the issue. All I was given was links to their FAQ section. After three attempts to get a real solution I was then directed to find a service department to take the machine in to be properly looked at. FRUSTRATING. 

At this point I even took apart part of the machine to tighten screws and so on that was mentioned in their FAQ section and it did help for a little but within the next project the issue would persist. Let’s also discuss how everything is written instruction with little to no visuals on how to fix these issues either. For instance, check the bobbin thread is extremely vague. All this to say I am striving to help fellow crafters out by sharing my experiences so that you do not have to be at the point of wanting to chuck your machine out the window. 

Back to the bobbin error, once my project was 90% finished everything was going well so of course this happened (see image below). The bobbin has needed to be changed so I did, however, once it kept happening I decided to inspect the bobbin once more by taking it out and reinserting it again in a firmer frustrated manner. Then I found it, the root of my bobbin switching issues. Simply put, the arrow guide for the Brother PE550d sucks, it is not accurate. One must act as if they are flossing in-between the mental parts of the bobbin and hear a click of the thread before wrapping it around the arrow. If this all sounds great but is still a little confusing watch the tutorial below for visuals. It makes me wonder if this was the root of previous issues as well, however, only time will tell. 

XOXO Faith