Pulling out a spool of embroidery thread that is not sufficiently stored can create a jumbled up mess. Although there are spools with locking bases most variety packs do not come with them. Specifically with this variety pack I did not want to invest in the larger spools (the ones that lock) as I did not know what colors I would be using the most. Thus, having a locking base is a luxury.
A few alternatives that are well known are thread nets and spool huggers. The variety pack I have came with a couple of thread nets but they were too big or perhaps too complicated for me to figure out. I have not tried spool huggers but I did not fancy the idea of making the spool bulkier. A thicker spool means that the pack of spools will no longer fit in the original box. If you have a craft room where you can have your thread displayed on a peg board this could be a great option.
The tape method is cost effective but did not work for me (as shown in the video). It kept threads organized for a little bit but after the next project the tape becomes less sticky and needs to be replaced. After getting fed up with constantly having to untangle my thread I cut the bottom of the spool making a slit for the end of the thread to be wedged in-between. This worked out the best for me and since I already had the scissors it cost me nothing. You will need sharp scissors otherwise it will take some time sawing away at the plastic base with standard craft scissors. These scissors by Westcott are linked below and are relatively inexpensive yet very strong. No more icky loose thread ends clinging to other spools of thread when they are pulled out. Let me know if you try out this hack below.
Tools/ Products Used: